Baby P has been unrelenting this past week. She is supposed to bring a “treat” to school to help her PTO raise funds. Suggestions included water bottles, juice boxes and sweet or savory, nut- free treats. I pushed hard for water or juice, but she got hung up on “something sweet” and “something home-made”. No amount of cajoling, scolding or bargaining would do. Until I relented. Fate was in my favor, that this recipe popped up in my Facebook feed. I have basically followed it to the T, and we now have some thing to bring to school tonight!
- 2 Tbsp butter + some to grease the tray
- 1 and 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 3 cups rice crispy cereal
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
How I made it:
- I used my instant pot as a double boiler. Hit the yogurt button two times till the display reads “boil” Add about 1 and 1/2 cups of water to the pot, and let it come to a rolling boil. If you don’t have an IP, then just use a stove-top double boiler
- Take another heat-proof mixing bowl that fits inside the IP. Melt the butter and chocolate chips – took me about 5 min.
- Now mix in the marshmallows and allow those to melt.
- Dump in the rice cereal, quickly mix as well as you can. Then spread it out on a greased wax-paper lining a 7×7 baking pan. smoothen the top using the back of your spatula.
- Allow to cool for at least an hour, the cut into squares using a sharp knife or a pizza cutter.
My 2 cents: My first advice would be to use a sturdy spoon or spatula to mmix and spread- I broke 2 wooden spoons trying to mix in the cereal! All in all, it’s a quick and easy snack, kid-approved, and great to contribute for school events.